Unborn baby's feet at 10 weeks
Unborn baby at 8 weeks
- Day 1 - conception takes place.
- Day 7 - tiny human implants in mother’s uterus.
- Day 10 - mother’s menses stop.
- Day 18 - heart begins to beat.
- Day 21 - pumps own blood through separate closed circulatory system with own blood type.
- Day 28 - eye, ear and respiratory system begin to form.
- Day 42 - brain waves recorded, skeleton complete, reflexes present.
- Week 7 - photo of thumbsucking.
- Week 8 - all body systems present.
- Week 9 - squints, swallows, moves tongue, makes fist.
- Week 11 - spontaneous breathing movements, has fingernails, all body systems working.
- Week 12 - weighs one ounce.
- Week 16 - genital organs clearly differentiated, grasps with hands, swims, kicks, turns, somersaults, (still not felt by the mother.)
- Week 18 - vocal cords work – can cry.
- Week 20 - has hair on head, weighs one pound, 12 inches long.
- Week 21 - youngest child to survive outside womb after premature birth
- Week 23 - 17% chance of viability outside of womb if birth premature.*
- Week 24 - 39% of babies survive premature birth.*
- Week 25 - 50% of babies survive premature birth.*
(*Source: Quint Boenker Preemie Survival Foundation, 2007)
Facts of Fetal Development